1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system
Dismiss Notice
DMCA Notice

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site

MattKimura's Downgrade + CFW setup tutorial

MattKimura Feb 26, 2016

Tags:
  1. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

The day has come when my guide is no longer needed. You can now setup Arm9loaderhax on any firmware from 11.2 and lower. You don't have to downgrade to 9.2 anymore to get started with setting up Arm9loaderhax, now that an arm9 exploit exists on 11.0-11.2.

Follow Plailect's guide:
    Guide

Once you've finished setting up Arm9loaderhax, I created a starter pack you can use to get started. These are apps I highly recommend having on your 3DS. Simply drag and drop all the files from the zip onto your SD card. Install all the cia using FBI, located in SD:/Cia/Homebrew/

Download

Here's a list explaining what each app does: HERE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tips

- Once you're on the latest system update, you can update games whenever they ask for updates. Simply press Y when it asks and it will download the latest game update for that game

- If you hold select while booting Luma3DS, you can access it's config menu. If you have a N3DS, you can force O3DS games to use N3DS CPU speed by choosing the "Clock + L2" option. This may break a few games, while giving a boost in FPS for some games like Pokemon ORAS/XY and Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater.

- If you want DLC, here's my thread full of DLC of all regions: HERE

- If you want to use CHMM for custom themes, you must use DSP Dumper one time. Launch it from the Homebrew Launcher (Install hblauncher_loader.cia that I included in the starter pack). You'll be able to use CHMM from then on to set custom themes.

- If you want to use emulators, O3DS users should use Snes9x and GameYob. For N3DS you should use RetroArch which has several cores, I recommend PocketSNES, Gambette, Genesisplusgx, FCEU, and GPSP

- Old 3DS users can't emulate GBA games, but can install GBA virtual console games as CIA. Which work perfectly since 3DS has a built in GBA mode. Even if you're a New 3DS user, I still recommend GBA VC

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Alan Tan, Chapilopez, Tri z and 139 others like this.
  2. Rohul1997

Rohul1997 Chaos Enthusiast Staff Member Super Moderator

Great work thanks

sanaken likes this.
  3. MattKimura

No longer needed

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    BFNDUDE likes this.
  4. MattKimura

No longer needed

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. MattKimura

No longer needed

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  6. Demon1977

Demon1977 Member

Will try this, have a console on 10.3.

7. JediAviator

JediAviator Active Member

Can I inject fbi into the sysnand? Tried to inject it with this method, instead of injecting it to the emunand, tried sysnand. H&S inject app is too big! What can I do to inject the FBI into my sysnand?

8. MattKimura

Actually you're on the right track, using the same method of injecting FBI into H&S is the same as with sysnand. You first need to export the h&s app from sysnand, then use Universal Injector Generator to inject fbi into it. Then inject that FBI app (with banner) to sysnand. You can literally follow the same steps, replacing emunand with sysnand in the steps.

9. JediAviator

JediAviator Active Member

Gotcha, I tried downloading a new fbi file, replaced the one I was using and it worked great! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

10. NeoGamer

NeoGamer Chaos Legend VIP

Matt have you heard the news. Downgrade possible now on all firmware. It's over at temp. :)

11. MattKimura

Yep I heard about it but haven't looked into it much yet. As far as I know, it's harder to pull off since it requires a game to work. I need to confirm that this guide is not for that though.

12. MattKimura

Guide updated, now includes the new and improved SafeSysUpdater.
    I've also edited a lot of sections.

13. NeoGamer

NeoGamer Chaos Legend VIP

Matt this is a great well written tutorial. Thanks very much for taking the time to do it. Sorry to pick fault but you say that for 10.4 to 10.6 cubic/smashhax/oothax is required. 10.4 and 10.5 menuhax and browserhax is still available as an entrypoint isnt it? I may be wrong :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  14. MattKimura

Thanks, I love to improve the guide from time to time. Especially when users report something not working.

Wow I almost forgot about 10.4 & 10.5's access to menuhax and browserhax. I even looked it up and it's absolutely true. Time to update the guide, thanks Craig!
    Those games are only needed for 10.6, this is great news.

15. MattKimura

List of homebrew cia apps

I've included the best homebrew cia apps you can find, as part of the final setup. These apps will be your best friend until the end of time. There are other homebrew cia apps out there, but it's up to you if you'd want them or not.
    This list will explain what each app does, for newcomers of the 3DS hacking scene.

[Custom badges] GYTB: When you launch this app, it adds all badges from the "badges folder" to your system. You can then go to the top left wrench icon and choose badges. Which then you can now place badges on your home menu. You can also place badges onto folders as icons.
    If you want to make your own badges, they're 64x64 png format for a one by one image, and 128x128 for a two by two. Whenever you add new badges to the badges folder, you must re-run GYTB again to add it to your system.

CHMM2: This app allows you to set custom themes. But before you can use it, you need to first run "DSP Dump" from the Homebrew Launcher. Then you can use CHMM all you want after that. You also need to set any theme before you plan on setting a custom theme with this app.
    More on how to use it HERE

FTPD: This is an FTP app that allows you to send/receive files from your computer. You'll need a client such as WinSCP. From WinSCP, I recommend installing it as "explorer". Then you just have to set it up as "FTP", enter the 3DS IP as the host name, then enter the port number. Feel free to click on "Save" to have the program remember your settings. Click Login and it will try to connect to your 3DS. Keep retrying until it connects.
    Now you can use it as a file manager, or a way to send/receive files on your computer and 3DS.

JK Save Manager: A save manager that can backup/restore saves for your cartridges and cia installed games. The saves are universal, meaning that you can import a EUR save, on a USA game for example. Plus anyone can use your backed up saves. You can literally backup a cartridge save, and restore it on a cia installed game.

lumaupdater: Update Luma3DS CFW directly from your 3DS without messing with files on a computer. Simply launch the app and choose the stable release and it's done. You can even update the updater!

Homebrew Launcher Loader: Boot into the Homebrew Launcher with this, if you ever needed it.

PlayCoinSetter: This app allows you to set however much playcoins you want. The max is 300. Then you won't have to shake your 3DS anymore to earn 10 playcoins a day.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Pretend0 likes this.
  16. raziel64714

raziel64714 New Member

20160324_175503.jpg
    i have this error

any idea?

i am using SmashBrosHax

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  17. MattKimura

This happens randomly by chance, turn it off and try again until it works. Just be sure you're using the right region update files, and for your 3DS type.

18. raziel64714

raziel64714 New Member

if i press b after the error return to the Homebrew Launcher i trid again or shutdown the new3ds and again access to the Homebrew Launcher?

sorry for my english

20160324_193651.jpg
    20160324_193725.jpg

here this is from safesysupdate

19. MattKimura

It's best if you shut down the 3DS, then try again. it's all a matter of luck if the app freezes or gives you the cia error, but once it downgrades it will work. All I can tell you is to keep on trying. Turning it off before trying again.

kdc1203 likes this.
iHax Comunity/