1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system

newbee can't get r4i card to work on 3dsxl

tomseuph Apr 26, 2016

1. tomseuph

tomseuph Member

Hi I have just joined this forum and wondered if someone could advise me.

I have a young nephew who plays games on a dsi. He is getting an old model 3dsxl running firmware 10.7.0-32E. He has a r4i (RTS) gold3ds card from R4iDS Official - R4i gold Revolution For 3DS,DS,DSL,DSi - R4i Gold 3DS|R4i Gold 3DS Updater. It has the latest wood 1.64 software on it.
    When the nds is switched on you can select the card but then we get a white screen for a second followed by a black screen and nothing?

I realise this is probably old hat, any thoughts of what i might be doing wrong. We only want to play old games with this card.

cheers

p.s. Should we upgrade the card and get a sky3ds+
    [h=1][/h]

2. NeoGamer

NeoGamer Chaos Legend Staff Member Moderator

Hi it's not clear what you said. Are you trying to play the card on the dsi or the 3ds. That card will only play ds roms too not 3ds rom. Cause you said when the nds is on. The sky 3ds is for 3ds games only as well.

3. tomseuph

tomseuph Member

Thanks Craig25 for such a quick reply. I will try and be a bit clearer.
    We want to use the r4i card in the 3dsxl to play his old games. But i can't get it to work. Thus the white screen for a second followed by the black screen.
    I know it won't play 3ds games, that why i wondered if the sky 3ds was something we should get him to switch to when he wants to play 3ds games. but i wasn't sure if it would work with the 10.7.0-32E firmware.
    best wishes
    tom

4. NeoGamer

Hello. If it's this card here http://www.r4ids.cn/r43ds/R4i gold 3DS V6.1_001.jpg it definitely works cause I'm using it myself on that firmware. I'll upload my files for you to try this afternoon and see it that works.

5. NeoGamer

@tomseuph this <<<here>>> is taken from my card its from the card in the picture i posted in the previous post above. Not promising anything that it will work but its worth a try.
    If thats not your card let me know as i have other cards too

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. tomseuph

tomseuph Member

Hi
    i have tried your files and still no luck. I have however noticed that my card doesn't have the small bubble(on the left) on the front like yours - i think it says 3ds in it. Here is a picture of mine. I have tried an old game(brain training) in the 3dsxl and that has worked straight away. So the console seems fine. Perhaps my card doesn't work. I have tried your files on two different sd cards. Should i just buy a new card? what would you recommend. cheers tom
    Wood R4i Gold 3DS RTS flashcard.jpg

7. NeoGamer

your keeping the files in the folder _rpg and just placing the whole folder on sd card right. It could be an old revision of the card maybe. When did purchase it?

8. tomseuph

tomseuph Member

Hi Craig
    yes i put the -rpg folder and the other file - Ds menu on the root of the sd card. I think we bought the card about 3 years ago. This actual card has never been used up to this point. I bought two cards and one works fine which the nephew has in his DSi or 2ds i am not sure which he has. This card was bought to use in our old ds consoles ( a sort of upgrade) but didn't work at the time so we stuck to our old edge cards. i presumed it was too advanced for an ordinary ds.
    So i am visiting the nephew at the weekend and will try out your files on an sd card in his card and see if it works. I will get back to you and let you know how it went.

i presume i will still have to get him a more modern card for 3ds games.

cheers
    tom

9. tomseuph

tomseuph Member

Hi craig tested everything at my nephews and your files worked fine with his card. so i must presume m card is faulty. At least that is sorted. Thanks for your help.
    Now do i need to buy a new card for him to play 3ds games or will they play using the r4i gold card?
    cheers
    tom

10. NeoGamer

It depends on your experience with hacking stuff. Any 3ds can be hacked right up to 10.7 firmware for you to run cfw which enables you to play 3ds games that are converted to cia format which is the format they are from the eshop. It just needs to be downgraded. Obviously these things carry risks of damaging your system if you make a mistake. There's a downgrade guide by Matt kimmura in are tutorials section for that if you go down that route which is free. You can purchase a sky3ds too if your not not wanting to do the downgrade but that costs money and time for delivery. So it's up to you. If your system is below 9.2 then your set already for free custom firmware.