1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system
Dismiss Notice
DMCA Notice

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site

Newbie.. i have a few questions

SakuraBlossom Mar 29, 2016

1. SakuraBlossom

SakuraBlossom Member

hi, firstly im a complete newbie - i have a 3DS XL - running on 10.7.0-32E

1. I'm wanting to play 3ds roms - what flashcard do i need?
    2. how do i add CIA files to my 3ds via the SD card?
    3. how do i get homebrew onto my 3ds? (if possible on the firmware i have)

Thank you!

SakuraBlossom

2. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

First off, welcome to the forum!

Now to answer your questions:

1. If you want to play 3DS ROMS, you can get a Sky3DS, and it works up to the latest update.

2. You can't run cia's unless you first downgrade your 3DS to 9.2.0, and setup CFW. You can downgrade only if you first get ahold of Cubic Ninja, or Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D + Powersaves. Also Smash Bros, but it's very difficult with that method.

3. From 10.7, you can only get homebrew access via cubic ninja or Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. Or you can use that homebrew access to downgrade to 9.2 and enjoy more.

Basically, you don't need roms or a flashcard if you downgrade your 3DS and setup CFW, to just use Cia's. It's the almost free method if you didn't need a game for downgrading.

From 9.3 - 10.5, you don't need a game however, for downgrading.

Hope this helps!

Be sure to "Reply with quote" so that I get a notification if you reply here. Otherwise I might miss your reply.

3. SakuraBlossom

SakuraBlossom Member

Thank you! i don't even the first thing of how to downgrade if i do manage to get one of those games to do so :/
    & i'm an utter noob whats a CFW? and how would i set that up if i manage to get a one of the games to downgrade & get homebrew (sorry for all the questions this is super confusing to me)

4. MattKimura

Don't feel pressured to ask questions, ask away! Most users on the 3DS hacks scene would want to help noobs with questions, we're all cool with it.

I personally wrote a guide on how to downgrade, and how to setup CFW: http://3dschaos.com/3ds-tutorials/1...tup-tutorial-softbrick-partial-downgrade.html

Let me know if it's a bit confusing or not. If you still don't understand what to do, I'll personally help you with everything beginning to end. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

CFW is short for custom firmware, it's like with the PSP. It's basicallly an environment where you can run unsigned code, to run unofficial things like homebrew, or games you don't own legitimate. If you downgrade, you can create a copy of your system's home menu where you can boot into that copied version and do everything from there. Such as updating, playing your free games, etc. We call this emunand, it's a direct copy of your sysnand. Your sysnand will remain on 9.2, while you mainly use emunand which can be updated to the latest. We basically boot into emunand through several different exploits from 9.2 sysnand. By the end of everything, you'll have it as simple as turning on your 3DS, and it autoboots into emunand without worrying about sysnand ever again. It's the good life on 3DS hacks.

5. SakuraBlossom

SakuraBlossom Member

haha thats good then xD i'll probably end up asking alot of questions in future if i can get one of them games to downgrade :D just need to get the money to purchase one :).
    i will give your guide a read through thankyou :)

and oh aha i feel pretty dumb xD and ah that explains it haha :) thankyou!! :D hopefully i'll either get the sky3ds or go the downgrade route

6. MattKimura

Ironically you could even use the Sky3DS cart, to run Cubic Ninja. And Sky3DS costs cheaper than Cubic Ninja. You could actually use the Sky3DS to downgrade.
    There's a new Sky3DS called Sky3DS+, that's the one you want to go with. As long as you don't update past 10.7, you're in downgrade range.

I personally recommend downgrading, especially since you can have my help on the whole thing.

If you buy Zelda OoT, look for the Nintendo Select version which goes for $20. Then you can get a Powersaves for $20. To be honest, I don't have any experience setting up the exploit on Zelda OoT. But once you get it going, the rest is easy.

Things are more technical when you go the Downgrade + CFW route, but easy to learn. The final setup is completely noob proof, you just install games and simply play them. It's the setup that can be a bit complex.

Go for Zelda OoT (Nintendo Selects) first, if not then I'd recommend Cubic Ninja. If you can't find a cubic ninja for cheap, just get a Sky3DS+.

7. SakuraBlossom

SakuraBlossom Member

Thank You! i have a powersaves already so that i dont need and $20 is about £15 uk right? im sure zelda OoT is around £30 here in england the Sky3ds is around £65+ and cubic ninja from what ive seen on ebay a hell of a lot more :/ but i will definitely give it a try :D on downgrading route

8. MattKimura

Oh hey UK people are awesome! :p Most users here are from UK, except me I'm American.

I'm rooting on you to get the necessary tools to downgrade, you can do it! When you get ahold of them, I'll help you downgrade. It's very easy.

I say it's safe since I've helped over 30 people to downgrade, plus tons of others have downgraded so it's defintiely safe enough. I even hooked some of my friends up.
    With a downgraded 3DS, you can enjoy the exploits that allow you to play any game you want including Eshop games, get DLC, install custom themes. Pretty much fully unlock your 3DS, and still be able to play online and play real carts. You don't technically hack the 3DS, you just put specific files on the SD card and run the exploit. Your 9.2 3DS will be the same as just about any 9.2 3DS. Basically you enter this magical land called emunand, where you can do anything you want. Even update to the latest.

9. SakuraBlossom

SakuraBlossom Member

Haha I think Americans are the Awesome ones not the UK people xD.

And thankyou i should be able too hopefully as i think my money situation has been sorted so i should be fine :D, and i'm not worried my current 3DS is a little dodgy (if i knock it sometimes it will turn off) so i'm getting one of the new 3ds's when i can (so my old one will be the one i downgrade etc) :D & thats so freaking cool! haha i really cannot wait to be able to do it now :D

10. MattKimura

The only scary part is downgrading, but everything after that is easy. In terms of scariness, I'm not afraid because I never had trouble downgrading 3DS myself. The process is VERY easy in fact, and it's gotten better since back then. As long as your wonky 3DS works, it's a VERY good 3DS for hacking and getting free stuff on. Even a 2DS would be freakin awesome. It's not about the system itself, it's about what you can do with it. A hacked 3DS can do a lot, it's very powerful in terms of how much you can get with it.

You have a choice of either buying Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo Select version preferably since it's @20), or a Sky3DS so that we can add the Cubic Ninja rom on it and treat it as Cubic Ninja. I gotta warn you though, if you plan on getting a bunch of games, DLC, etc, you will most definitely need a bigger SD card. The 2-4 GB sized SD card it comes with won't suffice. You need at least 32 GB - 64 GB. My personal recommendation is 64 GB, it's $20 on Amazon over here. In-store, it can be very expensive though.

iHax Comunity/