1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system

[Tutorial] Custom Menuhax boot screens

MattKimura Jan 19, 2016

1. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

If you're one of those who've setup menuhax to autoboot into your CFW, you may or may not know that you can actually change the image that displays when you first boot up your 3DS. Instead of seeing the default white static screen, you can set any image you want. This post contains backgrounds you can use, plus a guide on how to set it up on your 3DS.

Video demonstration
    [video=youtube;oqdauBpKOAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdauBpKOAM[/video]

Downloads

V1.1

NSFW Pack

Note: I Take no ownership over any images in this package, credit to users on Reddit/GBAtemp

Instructions

1. Place the "Menuhax Boot Screens" folder on the root of your SD card

2. Open the "Menuhax Boot Screens" folder and find an image you like

3. Note the image's number, and go to it's corresponding folder

4. Copy the "menuhax_imagedisplay" bin file and paste it to the root of the SD card

You should now see your new boot screen when menuhax boots up, instead of the white static.

Whenever you want a different boot screen, simply copy and paste the "menuhax_imagedisplay" bin file to the root of the SD for the image you want.

How to make your own

Using Gimp

1. Create a new image with the size 800x240

2. File>Open as layers then choose your image

3. Right click on the layer, choose "Scale layer". Set the size to 400x240

4. Choose the alignment tool, and click on the image. From the toolbox, choose the left arrow
    to shift the image to the left

5. Right click on the layer, choose "Duplicate layer"

6. Use the alignment tool to move either image to the right

7. Right click on the top layer and choose "merge down"

8. Go to file>Export as... Choose PNG format

How to convert your PNG image to BIN:

1. Go to http://xem.github.io/3DShomebrew/tools/image-to-bin.html
    2. upload your png image
    3. mark the 90° option
    4. download the "image.bin" and rename it to "menuhax_imagedisplay.bin"
    5. copy the file to the root of the SD card

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Superman

Superman Chaos Legend Staff Member Administrator

nice job [MENTION=6]MattKimura[/MENTION]

3. Rohul1997

Rohul1997 Chaos Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Yh I use a custom image as well. Great work for posting this:D
    The thing is after creating the duplicate image I don't convert the png to a bin file. I just place the png inside - 3ds\menuhax_manager\imagedisplay.png and then use menuhax manager to select that image. but your method is much easier thanks for showing this.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

When you do it through menuhax manager, it's still gonna create a bin file : p
    Creating the bin file yourself on your computer takes a second and avoids having to boot everything up on your 3DS~
    Ever since I found out about it, I never used menuhax manager ever again! In my pack, are not only boot screen images, but they're converted to bin file already. Swapping boot screens is easy thanks to my pack.

5. Rohul1997

Rohul1997 Chaos Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Yh that's what I meant it converts it into a bin file in the end. But your method is definitely easier and less hassle