1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system

[Tutorial] How to downgrade 3DS from 11.0 / 11.1

MattKimura Sep 21, 2016

1. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

If you own a 3DS with firmware 11.0 or 11.1, it's possible to downgrade it to 9.2 and eventually install arm9loaderhax. This involves buying a Dsiware game on a hacked 3DS, installing a custom save file, then system transferring it to the 11.0/11.1 3DS. This will remove the NNID from the target 3DS so be sure you're willing to sacrifice it along with other save data. You'll have to wait 7 days before you can system transfer back to the original 3DS (3DS #1)

REQUIREMENTS:
    - A hacked 3DS (Preferably with Arm9loaderhax installed on it) 3DS #1
    - A 3DS on stock 11.0 or 11.1 firmware 3DS #2
    - Purchase a specific Dsiware game such as Legend of Exidia on the hacked 3DS

Before you begin:
    On the 11.0/11.1 3DS, make a backup of all save data for all the games you care for on both 3DS. You'll need to boot into Homebrew Launcher and use JK Save manager to backup the saves one by one. You can restore them once you've finished this entire guide. You'll need an exploit game such as Cubic Ninja or Freaky Forms Deluxe to access Homebrew Launcher on this 3DS. Or a prehacked 3DS that can install an exploit on Paper Mario Sticker Star or Pokemon ORAS.

I. Dsiware Downgrade method
    This will downgrade Native_Firm to 10.4, in which you can then run Homebrew Launcher via steelhax to downgrade to 9.2

II. 9.2.0 Downgrade
    After adding the 9.2 update files on your SD card, Launch Steelhax from SteelDiver to get into Homebrew Launcher then run SysDowngrader and press Y to downgrade

----------------------------------------------------

III. Arm9loaderhax setup
    These next steps will guide you to setup the best level of hacks, known as Arm9loaderhax. This enables CFW to load up as soon as the 3DS boots up. The steps are written by Plailect, his guide is the best you'll ever find for setting up A9LH. Start from part 1 and work your way up to part 3 of the guide. Don't be overwhelmed by all the text, you only need to follow from where it says "What you need" and "Instructions" on each part.

Old 3DS Steps
    1) Launching Decrypt9
    2) 2.1.0 ctrtransfer
    3) Installing Arm9loaderhax

Warning: DELETE the A9LH folder! Then add a fresh one during section I. You don't want to mixmatch the other system's OTP or else you will brick!

New 3DS Steps

1) Setting up Menuhax
    2) Launching Decrypt9
    3) 2.1.0 ctrtransfer
    4) Installing Arm9loaderhax

Warning: DELETE the A9LH folder! Then add a fresh one during section I. You don't want to mixmatch the other system's OTP or else you can brick!

*Use browserhax on section II of Installing Arm9loaderhax (Holding L+R on home menu, scanning THIS QR)

Once you've finished, I created a starter pack you can use to get started. These are apps I highly recommend having on your 3DS. Simply drag and drop all the files from the zip onto your SD card. Install all the cia using FBI, located in SD:/Cia/Homebrew/

Download

Here's a list explaining what each app does: HERE

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Boy1979 and rsl like this.
  2. JediAviator

JediAviator Active Member

How do you use the save manager to back up your saves on 3ds#2 if it has no CFW? I am confused on that step

3. MattKimura

You have to use homebrew to backup the saves on 3DS 2. You'll need to buy a specific game to be used as an entrypoint such as Cubic Nina or Freaky Forms Deluxe.

4. JediAviator

Thanks! worked great!

Can I just sign in to my old NNID now that everything is done?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. MattKimura

NNID is tied to each system, if this system was the original system for that NNID then yes you can log into it. If anything give it a try and see how it goes.

6. JediAviator

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016