1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system
Dismiss Notice
DMCA Notice

No files are stored on our servers, all links are on external sites. If you have an issue with one of the posts/threads on our site or to make a DMCA report please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the site

[Tutorial] How to use out of region DLC with Luma3DS

MattKimura Oct 11, 2016

1. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

How to use out of region DLC with Luma3DS

If you're using a USA 3DS for example, and you have a EUR game on your system and you wanted to use it's DLC, you normally can't. But since Luma3DS supports language emulation, you can run out of region DLC.
    1. On your SD card, go into the luma folder and create a folder called locales
    2. While booting Luma3DS, hold select to access it's config menu
    3. Enable the option for language emulation, then press start to save and reboot
    4. Download and install the cia for Luma Locale Switcher (Google it, the forum is giving me code issues right now)
    5. Open Luma Locale Switcher, choose your game, set the region to the region of the game, and the language to the language that the game supports (Ex: Japanese if using a Japanese game)
    6. Open the game and try out the DLC, it should work now

How to set it up manually (Old method)

3. On your SD card, go into the luma folder (Create one if you don't have one) and create a folder called "locales"
    Example: SD:/luma/locales/

4. Create a .txt file with game's title id as the name (look them up on www.3dsdb.com[/URL])
    Example:
    [/B]00040000000EDF00.txt

5. Open[B] the text file and put the region of the game, (for example, EUR) then a space and the language you want (game has to support said language)

List of regions: ("JPN", "USA", "EUR", "AUS", "CHN", "KOR", "TWN")

List of languages: ("JP", "EN", "FR", "DE", "IT", "ES", "ZH", "KO", "NL", "PT", "RU", "TW")

Example: EUR EN

This makes the game think that your system is EUR, and set's the langage to English. If you have a USA 3DS, the EUR DLC should work now.

If you have a EUR 3DS and want to run a USA game's DLC, it would be: USA EN

You can also change the language to anything you want other than English.[/B]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3rald Chaos Immortal Staff Member Administrator

Another well writen helpful guide, thanks for sharing it @MattKimura

3. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

Haha thanks, this is actually the same thread posted again though. I had the other one deleted by Superman.
    I'm having some major issues with the coding on the forum, where a bunch of code gets repeated like [b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ][b ]

That's just an example of what happens. Then if I try deleting it, it comes back. It also does something strange with hyperlinks, I couldn't even link to Luma Locale Switcher in this thread.
    This code issue also affects my DLC List thread, I gave up on trying to fix it. I'm not sure if it's something under my own control or not.

4. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3rald Chaos Immortal Staff Member Administrator

@MattKimura not sure what happened with your DLC thread, I'll see if I can fix it when I'm on my PC later

5. SquallAdv

SquallAdv New Member

This tutorial saved my no-life, thanks a lot!!! :D

MattKimura likes this.
  6. simonrule

simonrule New Member

didn't work with fire emblem awakening i'm using us version of the game and the dlc but my 3ds xl is europe version.
    i did choose this USA EN but didn't work
    the problem when i want to access to dlc in the game i get error says that "could not detect sd card" but when i delete the dlc the game detect the sd card

iHax Comunity/