1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
  3. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
  4. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system

[TUTORIAL] Update OLD 3DS/3DS XL to 9.2.0-20

Madridi Oct 20, 2015

1. Madridi

Madridi Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

A lot of people have an old 3DS/3DS XL with firmware a low firmware (probably between 4.5 - 8.1) that they would like to update to 9.2. If you are looking for a solution, then this is the guide for you!

One way to do it, is via a cart*:
    - If your system is EU, then a copy of Cooking Mama 5 would update the 3DS to 9.2
    - If your system is NA, then a copy of Super Smash Bros. might** update your 3DS to 9.2

* Check your 3DS version before using the cart method. If the last number is 0, DO NOT USE THE CART METHOD!! You will end up with a browserless 3DS. A browser is essential for 9.2 hacks.
    ** This is not a reliable method. Up to now, there has been 3 revisions of Super Smash. The first version had 8.1U, second version had 9.2U, and the third version had 9.4U. There is also no way to tell from the box. So unless you hunt that specific version, you are out of luck. I would assume Cooking Mama 5 for EU would have the same issue, but I wouldn't know as my system is NA.

Seems complicated and not worth the hassle? That's why we have a homebrew called "Sysupdater". Using the following is the recommended method to upgrade to 9.2.

Requirements:
    - 3DS/3DS XL lower than 9.2
    - A Computer with internet connection and SD card reader
    - One of the following update packs (corresponding to your region): EUR : 9.2.0-20E (Full), USA : 9.2.0-20U (Full), JPN : 9.2.0-20J (Full)
    - Latest rxTools version set up on the 3DS
    - sysupdater 0.4.1 CIA from HERE .. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER VERSION!!

Steps:
    1- BEFORE DOING Anything, MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR SD CARD AND HAVE A NAND BACKUP READY. STORE THEM SOMEWHERE SAFE ON YOUR COMPUTER
    2- Download sysupdater and the update pack from your 3DS region from the links above.
    3- Plug in the 3DS SD card in your computer
    A) Set up rxTools if you don't have it installed yet (Check another tutorial on how to set it up)​
    B) Place sysupdater.cia on the root of your SD​
    C) Create a folder on the root of your SD card called "updates"​
    D) Place the contents of the update pack inside the updates folder (again, make sure it is from the same region as your 3DS, I cant stress this enough)

4- Plug in the SD card in your 3DS, turn in on, and run rxTools
    5- Install FBI through rxTools menu to SYSNAND (If you already have a way to install CIA in sysnand, skip this step)
    6- Select "Advanced options", and run "Devmode" (DO NOT RUN RXMODE SYSNAND, GATEWAY OR CAKES CFW FOR THE FOLLOWING INSTALLATION OR ELSE YOU WILL BRICK YOUR 3DS)
    7- You should now be on your Sysnand's main menu. Run "Health & Safety" Application, it should start FBI if you have installed it in step 5
    8- Install sysupdater.cia
    9- Quit FBI, and run sysupdater, and follow the instructions on screen.

Once everything is done, you will find yourself on 9.2.0-20 .. Congrats :D

Disclamer:
    - While this installation is safe. Neither I nor the developers of sysupdater will bear any responsibility for the usage of this program. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    - The guide doesn't cover the NEW 3DS/3DS XL (For now..) .. It will soon in the future. Once it does I will update this guide
    - Credit for the update packs go to @Cha0s Em3rald for the uploads, and the entire 3DS community for the contributions in collecting these packs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Cha0s Em3rald

Cha0s Em3rald Chaos Immortal Staff Member Administrator

Just updated my 3DS XL to 9.2.0-20 following this guide

Thanks again for posting it :)

3. Madridi

You are very welcome. It will be updated once once rxtools is officially out, since de mode has been renamed to pasta mode or something lol

4. jaxrogers2

jaxrogers2 New Member

Does sysupdater 0.4.2 work with this too?

5. Cha0s Em3rald

If you are looking to downgrade then there is another tut for that here - http://3dschaos.com/3ds-tutorials/1082-tutorial-downgrade-3ds-sysupdater.html

I haven't tried it myself but safesysupdater is supposed to be better for doing that

6. uploadmaster

uploadmaster Chaos Fanatic Staff Member News Team Super Uploader

I think SafesysUpdater it's better because looks like it checks if the cia are correct, more safe.

Anyway about updating, I updated my EmuNAND with 0.4.2 and it was ok.

According to 0.4.2 changelog, many fixes was made for downgrading..https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases

7. rocknard

rocknard Member

@Madridi
    Can you upload the firmwares to another proper server? I get a file 1MB without extension. You need adding MD5 or SHA for verify the integrity.

sysupdater says: "IMPORTANT: Don't run this with any sort of firmware spoofing enabled like Gateway mode/rx mode/whatever or it will brick!". How can i disable the firmware spoofing with my gateway?

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Madridi

Actually the files are not my uploads. It's the ones posted by Cha0s Em3rald. @Cha0s Em3rald, can you fix the links in the first post?

as for the note, read step number 6.. You should not in any case use gateway or any of the cfw modes I mentioned. It's not something you can enable and disable.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. MattKimura

MattKimura Chaos Contributor Staff Member VIP

I had no idea this existed before I made a guide on the same thing :p

Ah well, I guess I should've searched around. Even Plailect on GITHUB has his own guide on updating to 9.2.

10. Cha0s Em3rald

Post edited & new 9.2 links added on Unlimitzone

11. Madridi

This an old guide Matt. The one before downgrades even happened. So yours are probably more up to date anyway even if most steps are more or less the same.

feel free to use any of it in your guide if you want :)